March 22, 2009

Day 073 : Tokyo

I spent most of today wandering around the Ueno and Asakusa areas of Tokyo. Of course a long day of walking is bound to require a visit to a public restroom, something that I usually avoided at all cost during my time in India. Let's just say the experience in Japan is a little different...
For one, the toilet seat is heated and automatically sanitized after every use...

Secondly, with the push of a button you can rinse just about anything imaginable...

Thirdly, there are robotic waste bins for sanitary items that open and close via the activation of a sensor...

I don't want to dwell on the subject of public restrooms, so on to slightly more appropriate topics...From Ueno I walked to Asakusa, passing through a variety of street scenes on the way.




I've noticed that in Tokyo there is a very functional use of the space located below elevated rail lines. In most of the cases I have seen that this space is not abandoned, but instead used for practical programs like parking and shopping (of course!).


More street machines.

In Ueno-Koen some interesting textures...



1 comment:

  1. ...fun!
    is Naoshima on your hitlist in Japan? it's worth it!

    AM

    ReplyDelete