April 24, 2009

Day 102 : The Great Wall

I woke up early this morning to catch a 3 hour bus ride to The Great Wall. I had heard that parts of the wall are unbearably touristic so I decided to avoid places like Badaling and head for the trek from Jinshanling to Simatai. It was beautiful (and much more aerobically intense than I expected!). Many parts of the wall are in ruins, or slowly becoming so. It made for an...interesting hike!







Upon arriving in Simatai there were two ways to descend from the wall: A foot path or a zipline. I chose the zipline (obviously)! As soon as I finished the trek it began to rain, well, pour to be more exact. It made for a pretty awesome zipline ride down though. I felt like Jane Bond (James' female counter part) flying over this beautiful tourquoise river that cut through the rugged terrain. It was pretty surreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment