November 5, 2009

Day 214 : La Paz

I spent my first full day in La Paz wandering around its crowded streets that blanket the dramatic hillsides. I quickly became rather obsessed with the market scenes, watching the "Bolivian Bowler Babes" conduct their daily business...


The La Paz markets are rather intense as their offer an abundance of sensory stimulation...


I was actually quite surprised to see the abundance of new construction that is taking place within the city. Here you can see a piece from the past reflected on a 'modern' glass facade...
I must admit that I was initially a bit frightened by the overwhelming presence of 'Shoe Shiners' that are scattered throughout the city, mostly due to what seems to be their uniform - a full face ski mask. I'm not quite sure why they wear it? Some say provides protection from the sun, smog, and stinky feet. Others say it helps disguise their identity...

No comments:

Post a Comment