April 4, 2009

Day 087 : Beppu

Last night I arrived in Beppu at 9:30pm so I had no idea what I was in store for this morning. When I woke up I headed to the hot springs with a friendly Canadian that I met at the Beppu Guest House. On the train ride here I started to ask myself why I chose to visit Japan at this time of year. So far it has been relatively overcast and colder than I would prefer (I have been totally spoiled by the warm sunshine in India and Vietnam!) Then I remembered...Cherry Blossoms!!! When I stepped off the bus these beautiful blossoms framed the view of what was ahead...

As I got closer I noticed steam seeping through the cracks in the stones, filtering up through the tree tops.


The larger site has several different hot spring spots with different themes if you will.In many cases the temperature of the water exceeds 100 degrees celcius!





My favorite was the steamy mud spring. It looked so inviting!


The most interesting part of the whole experience was seeing how local people used the natural hot springs to steam cook various local vegetables. Talk about multi-tasking...you can cook dinner and get a facial all at once!

No comments:

Post a Comment