April 16, 2009

Day 092 : Naoshima

Today I took Alex's advice and made a visit to the little island of Naoshima, about an hour ferry ride off the coast of Takamatsu. It's safe to say that this was one of my most enjoyable days in Japan thus far (Thanks Alex!). Once I arrived I immediately rented a bicycle and began exploring.
Naoshima is more or less an art island, as it is the home to two different art museums (The Benesse House and The Chichu Art Museum) both design by Tadao Ando. Unfortunately I wasn't able to photograph (or even sketch!) hese places. I think my favorite part of the island was the 'Art House Project' in a small seaside town on the east coast. Seven of the houses in this village have been handed over to various artists and architects. Each individual has created his own unique installation using the given space. My favorite was the Minamidera House Project. The shell was designed by Tadao Ando, and the art installation was done by James Turrell. Unfortunately I don't have any photos as it was all about experiencing and adjusting to the black box. You'll have to see it for yourself!
Haisha by Shinro Ohtake



Go'O Shrine by Hiroshi Sugimoto

Kadoya House by Tatsuo Miyajima




View from the Ferry. Upon arriving in back in Takamatsu I headed straight for the train to Osaka!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment