April 3, 2009

Day 085 : Ainokura

Today I took a couple of buses deeper into the mountains to the villages of Ainokura and Shirakawa-Go, both of which are World Heritage Sites. I was curious about this eccentric architecture.

The color and clarity of the water here is amazing!











I was curious as to what the interiors of these furry monsters were like so I had a look. The space was surprisingly elegant (well, in comparison to the exterior...but it is Japan and of course I should never judge a book by its cover). It seems that the typical layout of these houses consists of a central fire pit on the ground floor. The upper floors, referred to as the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floor attics have floors with openings in the central part of the that allows the heat from the fireplace to rise and circulate throughout the entire space.






No comments:

Post a Comment